Re: Unsubscribe me Please!!!!!!

2003-02-16 19:53:58
On Sun, Feb 16, 2003 at 06:16:20PM -0700, Robin Lynn Frank wrote:
On Sunday 16 February 2003 12:47 pm, David Thome wrote: Nothing worthwhile!

It does not take a rocket scientist to find the following in the headers of
every message on this list.  If you can't figure it out, consider a career
change!

<mailto:procmail-request(_at_)lists(_dot_)RWTH-Aachen(_dot_)DE?subject=subscribe>

<mailto:procmail-request(_at_)lists(_dot_)RWTH-Aachen(_dot_)DE?subject=unsubscribe>

No, but being pragmatic, and to avoid crazyness arising, it may be a
good idea to put it explicitly in the footer of the message. This arises
on every mailing list, people writing to the list saying "unusubscribe"
instead of to the list management program itself. Many people supress
display of many non-essential headers, so to be fair it is not always
glaringly obvious.
Having said that with the huge variety of list managers in use, none of
them work in the same way..so at the cost of an extra line in the footer
I think it is worthwhile..since none of them can be unsubscribed to by
writing to the list itself. I think having to go to a website to
unsubscribe is the worst way of implementing it btw.
After all we do have to put up with these legally meaningless
disclaimers that many people append to their messages (I realise that
they may not have a choice..company policy and all that)..so the
addition of one extra piece of *useful* information should do no
harm.

--
Regards
   Cliff Sarginson