Re: Council log censored

2005-07-10 16:33:58
In <42D1A2D2(_dot_)5AA5(_at_)xyzzy(_dot_)claranet(_dot_)de> Frank Ellermann
<nobody(_at_)xyzzy(_dot_)claranet(_dot_)de> writes:

After the discussion of Chuck's resignation as Chair of the SPF
Council - <http://mid.gmane.org/42CD6CD6(_dot_)8000407(_at_)redhat(_dot_)com>
-
the Council declined to follow Chuck's last agenda...

True, but Chuck also declined to follow Julian's much earlier list of
agenda items.  Actually, this conflicting agenda list was discussed a
little here on spf-discuss.

Late changes to the agenda have, unfortunately, been the norm for the
SPF council.

21:17 <grumpy> Uh, I guess we should have pointed out that the
           council has moved into executive session to discuss
           strategy that can not be discussed in public
21:40 <grumpy> We have decided to table items 8 and 9 pending
           the results of further discussions during the
           emailauthentication summit on Tuesday

Anything else from 20:52 to 21:40 was censored, see also
<http://mid.gmane.org/E1Drjnj-0001pc-Fs(_at_)backbone(_dot_)schlitt(_dot_)net>

In other words there's no public strategy against the IESG
approval of the PRA "experiment" with v=spf1 policies, and
the Council talks in secret with the MAAWG (Doubleclick etc.)
keeping the Community in the dark.

Yes, that is true, there is no *public* strategy by the *SPF Council*
to deal with these problems.  I really hope that there are more people
active in the SPF community than just the SPF council.

I also hope people realize that if we thought that public discussions
at this time were at all appropriate, we would have done so.  As
Julian said, most of what we discussed will soon become public.
Please don't assume that we are any more organized in private than we
are in public or that the SPF council carries out much of anything in
private.  If we did, I would have left the council long ago.  I left
"secret" SPF council that existing for a few weeks last fall for just
this reason.  IIRC, Frank left earlier than I did (like immediately).

I realize that one of the down sides to holding any private discussion
in such an open community is the almost immediate mistrust and
wondering just what is going on.  I honestly think that for this
particular case, right now, the SPF community is better off by having
the council not tell the *entire world* how we hope to solve these
problems, and especially not the things that we decided wouldn't be
such hot ideas.

-wayne