dkim-dev

Re: [dkim-dev] Choosing sets of headers to sign

2007-01-12 13:43:21
Arvel Hathcock wrote:

 > Do you have any fields, besides Received, that you feel should/must
 > NOT be signed?

I don't sign "Return-Path", "X" headers, or "Authentication-Results" headers. "X" type headers are too unpredictable and are often stripped (this is routine in my experience) by various software in the email transmission path. IIRC "Return-Path" has a "strip it out" directive written down somewhere. I've often found incoming messages collected from store and forward services which contain a "Return-Path". Stripping it breaks the signature so I don't sign that one if/when I encounter it in a message I'm signing. "Authentication-Results" has a criteria in the spec by which it too could potentially be stripped out from an incoming message. So, to sign headers which are, in the spec that defines them or through common practice, are likely to be sripped should never be included in signatures IMO.

Ditto on these. Another I would not promote is "Reply-To:" for optional list server reasons.

===
HLS