dkim-dev

Re: [dkim-dev] Choosing sets of headers to sign

2007-01-14 13:39:57
Murray, et al,

Useful responses.  Thanks.  THey prompt some more questions.

And the other line of question is about having different folks signing different sets of fields. Is that variation important? How? And how can/should they be distinguished by the validator/filter?

I would think the verifier could be given a list of headers which, if present, MUST be signed. If for example the verifier wants all From headers to be signed and it gets a message whose signature verifies but
From wasn't signed, the verifier SHOULD act as though the signature was
not present.

1. How would the verifier be given a list? Via the BCP you cite, or something else?

2. Is there only one list, or for example, might different styles of messaging produce different set of required (or expected) signatures?

This is all local policy or BCP stuff though, not something the base specifications necessarily need to address.

3. Absent a BCP or the like, is there a problem with having -base be silent on list any required fields (other than From)?

The basis for this question is the concern that publishing -base without a list would produce different signing choices and a confusion of how to interpret those differences, or a failure to handle them differently.

d/

ps. Should we be worried at how few responses have shown up on this list?

--

  Dave Crocker
  Brandenburg InternetWorking