dkim-dev

Re: [dkim-dev] Choosing sets of headers to sign

2007-01-12 15:41:56
On Thu, 11 Jan 2007, Dave Crocker wrote:
1. How are folks deciding what fields to sign?

Our current implementation signs all headers by default, but you can select your own list as an override. However, it will always include From, Date, Subject, Sender, Resent-From, Resent-Sender, and all Content-* headers regardless of the list you give it. I came up with that set on my own.

I'd have to think about it for a while to recall why that particular list was chosen.

2. To what extent do we care about different signers choosing different fields to sign, in terms of how to process a validated signature?

Our implementation currently doesn't check. However, it does have the option to note that "l=" is in use, and require that a fixed minimum volume or percentage of the message was signed (e.g. "don't accept a message which was only 10% signed").

That logic could easily be extended to say "don't accept a message which contains an unsigned X, Y or Z header", which leaves the control of those requirements in the hands of the verifier. I'd be inclined to have that list default to From, Date and Subject, but be configurable to require additional headers.

-MSK