Re: email forwarding

2001-02-06 00:22:03
From: Rob Funk <rfunk(_at_)funknet(_dot_)net>
Rob MacGregor wrote:
>  However you could set fetchmail up with a 1 second delay,
>continually polling the external mail server.
>
>I'd hate to think of the overhead this would induce though...

Forget the overhead -- how about the wrath this would induce from your
ISP?  An admin would get a bit testy about polling more often than
every five minutes, and more than once a minute is easily grounds for
disabling an account.  Once a second doesn't even give the system a
chance to write new mail into the mailbox, considering the check takes
more than a second.

It wouldn't be quite that bad. The delay seems to be from completion of the previous run. With mine set for 5 minutes and cycling through a number of boxes it's usually more than 5 minutes between the first mailbox being checked each time.

To be honest, it's largely down to the local ISP. I've got one box thats polled every 2 minutes. Neither my ISP or my mail provider have ever complained, but then I don't think my actions are a significant overhead when compared to the few thousands of other individuals using their services.

Rob