Re: [fetchmail]Problem in compiling fetchmail

2001-04-23 06:51:27
Hello ESR,

On Mon, 23 Apr 2001, ESR wrote:
hmh(_at_)debian(_dot_)org <hmh(_at_)debian(_dot_)org>:
Eric, now that 5.8.0 and 5.8.1 are out, maybe you'd like the "cvs-friendly
fetchmail tree", "no need for GNU make" and new gettext build patches?
They're live in Debian's tree and seem to work fine.

Yes, I'm ready for those now.

Ok, patches and files attached. autogen.sh has some debian cruft in it, but
it is triggered only in the presence of a debian/ subdir.

Instructions:

1. Unpack the attached tarball to the top source dir. Read the .cvsignore
   files in all directories and remove all files listed in them from the cvs
   repository as well (cvs del). Remember to add the .cvsignore files, as
   well as the autogen.sh script to the repository (cvs add).  Yes, the
   entire contents of intl/ should be deleted, but for the new .cvsignore
   file and the directory itself.

2. Make sure your GNU gettext (for gettextize), autoconf, aclocal and
   automake are well installed in /usr/share/... and up-to-date [or edit
   autogen.sh to point it to the correct locations for your system].  If
   your distribution does not take great pains to keep configure.{guess,sub}
   updated (Debian doesn't, but I'm going to change that very soon) this is
   the ideal time to grab new copies from ftp.gnu.org/gnu/config so as to
   support ia64 and hppa, for example (just overwrite the old stuff in
   /usr/share with the new files).

   This is also the best time to upgrade to the new GNU gettext. The new GNU
   gettext fixes a lot of utter braindamage in their Makefiles[.in[.in]], so
   I am not sure these scripts will work with the old, broken GNU gettext :(

3. Apply the patch to Makefile.in

4. Run ./autogen.sh for the first time, and verify if intl/ and all
   other removed files were regenerated sucessfully. Run a cvs -n update,
   and make sure CVS is not trying to do anything stupid to the files that
   were deleted from the repository. Run a cvs ci to commit the changes.

./autogen.sh should be rerun everytime the build directory suffers severe
changes, and after every cvs export (I run it automatically on every export,
and manually before every build I will release, to make sure the packages I
upload to Debian are the same as my working CVS directory would generate).

I suppose adding a ./autogen.sh to the start of the dist: target of
Makefile.in might be a good idea.

The (cd foo && $(MAKE)) stuff should remove our dependency on GNU make. ESR,
this really should not break your rpm builds (you reported the old version,
(cd foo ; $(MAKE)) did... and I can see how) unless something is really
wrong in the makefile, I think.

  Henrique Holschuh