[fetchmail]Re: help on smtp forwarding via fetchmail

2001-10-05 08:03:43
Ferda Ozdemir writes:

I am trying to forward smtp requests to my mail server (QMail). I am attaching a picture showing the configuration. I can redirect http request using Apache Reverse Proxy configuration. I mean I want to install Apache on the machine named "reverse proxy" in the picture. But I don't know a way to forward smtp requests to my mail server. And hide it for security. When I was searching for a solution I found fetchmail. I tought that fetchmail program should work on the machine named "reverse proxy" and It will do the redirection I need. I am still reading about it but I need help. Is there anybody who made a similar configuration? I am not even sure about if fetchmail is the thing I am looking for or not? I can't ask about the details cause I don't know yet.
Computer network security is a complicated subject and not one I can easily cover in this forum. So many questions are raised by your diagram and not answered sufficiently for me to hazard a guess as the the correct answer. I would suspect that a combination of smtpd and fetchmail on the machine labelled Reverse Proxy may help you out. However, you really need to find out more about computer network security before you will be able to implement to solution effectively. As a first pass, go to http://www.fwtk.org and read teh Docs/Tutorials and FAQ for a good general introduction. Check out all the links you find there.
--
Bill Michell
bill(_at_)mics(_dot_)org(_dot_)uk (home)