Re: [fetchmail]Hang on large messages

2001-12-17 09:18:29
Alan Jackson wrote:

The answer came from the Caldera list :

On Sun, 29 Jul 2001 22:04:49 -0500  "David A. Bandel" wrote:
If you're using iptables masquerading or snat, then you need to use the
tcpmss incantation I posted (that or jsut drop your MTU to 552.  The new
2.4.x kernel is a lot less forgiving of non-RFC compliant hardware and
software then 2.2.x was.
I just added
mru 552 mtu 552
to my ppp options file.

I can't change mru and/or mtu size! My box is using a cisco router also
used by other boxes to connect to the internet, so I can't reduce
mru/mtu only to retrieve mails.

Today the same problem appeared again, this time on the third server
(I'm downloading mails via POP3 and APOP from 3 different servers).
It's again a "big" mail (from fetchmail log: 1262839 octets).
I builded 5.9.6 but became the same result, a timeout.

Eric: I've never used 5.2.0, Alan Jackson did. I could try it, but as
stated in the forwarded mail from the Caldera list and the results that
Alan achieved reducing mru/mtu I suppose going to 5.2.0 won't be from
further help. But if you wan't me to test it I'll give it a try!

I'll reduce MRU/MTU on our router now and try to start fetchmail again
and see if it downloads the stocking "big" mail.

My understanding is that the mru/mtu choice has more to do with your ISP's
configuration.
| Alan K. Jackson            | To see a World in a Grain of Sand      |
| alan(_at_)ajackson(_dot_)org          | And a Heaven in a Wild Flower,

| www.ajackson.org           | Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand |
| Houston, Texas             | And Eternity in an hour. - Blake       |