Re: [fetchmail]Re: Bug in doing CAPA /w fetchmail-5.9.11?

2002-05-04 09:29:55
Birger Toedtmann <birger(_at_)takatukaland(_dot_)de> writes:

Matthias Andree schrieb am Sat, May 04, 2002 at 03:43:20PM +0200:

Qpopper configuration. I believe fetchmail only tries CAPA on servers
that are recent enough to announce APOP -- however, as said before, that
assumption breaks on Courier-IMAP, to name only one server (a good one, BTW).

This sounds a bit contradictory.  It is clear that fetchmail tries CAPA only
on APOP servers, but is it right to do so?  I don't see why there is qpopper
to blame for not behaving APOP-like when capable of CAPA.

qpopper can be configured with or without APOP, and fetchmail's
heuristic "try CAPA only if server announces APOP" is unsuitable,
evidently.

Maybe this could be modified like "if someone wants STLS [or something else
that requires CAPA], try CAPA, if this does not work out, disconnect".

Looks like a good idea at first glance.

Yep, I know.  Unfortunately, the sysadmins installed there don't share this
feeling....  =:o

Exploit it, get root and add some notes to their favourite shell
initialization. :o)