Re: [fetchmail] exit with non zero code, 2nd

2002-09-12 23:46:51
Quoting from Matthias Andree's mail on Fri, Sep 13, 2002 at 01:21:17AM +0200:
Hello, (this is the second time that I sent this message, perhaps!)
I've configured fetchmail to retrieve all message from a single
account out of the organization and to redistribuite the email
to the local accounts. It's seem to work fine but when arrived
a mail to unknown local user, sendmail end with status code not 0
end fetchmail cannot continue to delete the erroeus message.
Where i failed?

But note the man page:

:      Fetchmail's  method of sending bouncemail and spam bounces
:      requires that port 25 of localhost be available for  send-
:      ing mail via SMTP.

I think the mda is supposed to send the bouncemail on its own anyway.
sendmail does so when invoked on the command line. So, there is no
need for fetchmail to send a bouncemail separately based on the exit
code. (Else, this will lead to the Return of Double Bounce:-)

So you can just remove the mda option from your config file and let
fetchmail forward to your sendmail's SMTP port (port 25) instead. That
should work.

Another option would be to write a shell script which hides certain
exit statuses. Attached is one such script. Make this executable.
Replace /usr/sbin/sendmail by the full path of this script file in the
mda line.

Sunil Shetye.