Re: [fetchmail] permanent error - not flushed

2003-06-08 13:32:01
From: Robin Lynn Frank <rlfrank(_at_)paradigm-omega(_dot_)com>

Been there, done that:

"The fetchmail code recognizes and discards the message on any of a list
of  responses that defaults to [571, 550, 501, 554] but can be set with
the `antispam' option."

Has the term discard been issued a new meaning I am unaware of? I'll concede
that line doesn't actually say what it does with the message on the remote
server, but it is a bit ambiguous.

A trawl of the archive may help here. From what I remember of previous postings on the subject you actually have to explicitly activate the antispam option, otherwise it doesn't take effect.

I suspect that means antispam 550 will resolve this, but leaves me with a
question.  Why wouldn't the default action on a permanent error (5xx) be to
flush the message?  What part of permanent makes fetchmail think permanent
expires before it awakens the next time?

Because there are a range of reasons and defaulting to deleting email is probably a Bad Thing (at least in my book). There should never be a reason for defaulting to deleting email.

6.2.2

That's a first, somebody I don't suggest upgrades immediately :-)

 Please DO NOT send me ANY email directly unless it's a privacy issue.
      Reply-to mangled to assist those who don't read the above.
--
Rob  |  What part of "no" was it you didn't understand?

Tired of 56k? Get a FREE BT Broadband connection http://www.msn.co.uk/specials/btbroadband