Re: [fetchmail] Retrieval Error - incorrect header line

2003-07-05 08:08:35
On Fri, 4 Jul 2003, Paul M Foster wrote:
The problem is that there are only certain headers defined by RFC822 to
be legal in the header of an email. After the header appears a single
blank line as a delimiter between the header and the body. If illegal
lines are found it the header before the blank line, fetchmail normally
will not retrieve the email. According to the programmers, to code
fetchmail to actually retrieve such mail would be cumbersome and
error-prone.

This strikes me as completely crazy, and fits in with other problems I'm
seeing with fetchmail.

Perhaps it's a difference of philosophy, but here is how I wish fetchmail
to behave:
        It should retrieve *all* messages from the POP server without
exception and find some way of passing them on.  If a message is malformed
then it can always be forwarded to the postmaster as an attachment.  The
only excuse for failing to forward a message can be that the local mail
recipient is not working.

As things are I am have to constantly monitor my .fetchmail.log and
whenever fetchmail starts sulking on some piece of crap the spammers have
sent me I have to manually retrieve the situation.  I completely fail to
see why this should occur.