[fetchmail] multidrop problem

2003-09-13 19:34:26
Due to upstream ISP behavior that I can't control, I seem to be caught between a rock and hard place in getting fetchmail to work right for me. I use fetchmail in multidrop mode to support multiple users.

Initially, I had a problem that was causing multiple copies of email to be generated. I tracked this down to email that had multiple recipients on the "To:" line. Some upstream ISP would generate a message with a different message ID for each "To:" recipient but leave the "To:" header as is, and when fetchmail used the "To:" header as the envelope address it would generate duplicates.

I attempted to fix this problem by using an "Envelope X-Original-To" command for fetchmail. That did fix the problem above, but created a new problem. I do get one message for each X-Original-To recipient, but sometimes the message-ID is the same. In multidrop mode fetchmail suppresses messages with duplicate message-ID, and I can't find a switch to turn that behavior off. So now instead of the original problem of duplicate messages, only the first recipient on the "To:" line gets the message and the second recipient is dropped.

Any suggestions?

Thank you,
Howard