Re: [fetchmail] sendmail without dns support

2003-12-01 02:21:16
I know this might be not an appropriate place for this question. But
I think its a faster way to get answer about this problem.

I am trying to configure offline mail server with fetchmail and
sendmail. I don't want my sendmail to lookup for domain name and send
mail. i.e regardless of any address, I just want my sendmail to
forward all my queued mail to my ISP mail server. On our behalf my
ISP mail server will lookup for domain name and send mail to
receiver.

If I remove name server from /etc/resolv.conf then sendmail stops
working. How can I make my sendmail not look for nameserver and just
transfer my queued emails to my ISP mail server like MUA does.

Been a while since I've used sendmail but I'm sure you're going about this
the wrong way. Instead of doing dns lookups you want your server to simple
send all email to your isp's server. I'm sure this is 'smart host' or
something like that under sendmail, which you specify and it'll forward all
email to another smtp server. You should NOT need to make any system dns
changes for this, nor should you do this. By changing your dns, you'll
simply make your system when performing any dns lookups go very slow. E.g.
ssh logins will take longer than usual.

Have a look at http://www.sendmail.org/m4/masquerading.html

other than that, try google 'sendmail smart host' is a good search phrase.

HTH

Simon