Re: [fetchmail]Receiving multiple copies of messages, FAQ doesnt help

2004-01-07 13:55:26
fetchmail(_at_)busa(_dot_)lionking(_dot_)org writes:

It's as though you had only one large common mail box for a house with
several apartments and the post man would remove the envelope before
dropping the mail. You'll have to communicate with your neighbours (your
other users or mail addresses in your case) and pass the mail forth and
back.

I understand this, but what I'm asking is not for fetchmail to guess
where the mail was supposed to go, but not to distribute it many times
if it thinks it should go to more than one place.

The path shown, having envelope recipients preserved in a special header
that fetchmail is configured to look for, and placing one copy per
recipient into the POP3 drop box, will solve your problem.

There is no "solution" short of keeping envelope that will be reliable,
and reliable includes the terms "no duplicates/extra copies delivered"
and "no Bcc: or mailing lists missed".

There is nothing that fetchmail can fix at its end when the upstream
isn't willing to play safe, by adding X-Envelope-To or something.