[fetchmail]fetchmail vs Maillenium; mail truncated to 80K

2004-04-21 23:36:35
Greetings!

I've recently stumbled across an incompatibility between fetchmail and
my ISP's mail server, which appears to be something called Maillenium:

+OK (sccmpsc02) Maillennium POP3/PROXY server #15

It appears that Maillenium treats any TOP command that specifies more
than 2242 lines to be equivalent to TOP x 2242; consequently, messages
longer than about 80KB get truncated.

The workaround I'm using is to set fetchall in my .fetchmailrc to cause
fetchmail to use RETR instead of TOP.

I've verified the behavior of Maillenium's interpretation of the TOP
command using telnet to the pop3 port; a TOP that specifies more than
2242 lines yields the same results as one that specifies 2242 lines.
However, I've not yet tracked down information on Maillenium, to wit:
what it is and what it thinks it's doing.

Since I have a workaround, I'm not terribly worried about it, but thought
you folks might want a heads up; I'm seeing some traffic on this sort of
thing in the archives. Perhaps it should be a FAQ?

I'm at a loss to explain the number 2242, since it does not appear to be
a "magic" number (i.e., an even power of two or near one).
--
Roger Ivie
rivie(_at_)ridgenet(_dot_)net