RE: [fetchmail]Where's my From line gone?

2004-04-27 06:43:33
From: Michael Abbott <michael(_at_)araneidae(_dot_)co(_dot_)uk>

> Version of fetchmail? Sample headers for one of these emails (keeping in
> mind that 'From ' isn't an SMTP header, but sometimes added by the LDA -
> none of my emails have them).

$ fetchmail --version
This is fetchmail release 6.2.5+POP2+RPA+SDPS+SSL+OPIE+INET6+NLS

Nice to see you've got the current version :)

Here are the headers from a typical mail (spam, of course; literally 99.9%
of e-mail on this particular account is spam):

Note the absence of a From line.

You obviously missed my comment. The "From " line is *NOT* part of an SMTP email. It is added by *some* LDAs for the use of *some* IMAP/POP servers that store the emails as a *single file* (traditional unix format). It's only purpose is as a message separator for those IMAP/POP servers.

This problem is *NOTHING* to do with fetchmail. It is a problem with your local IMAP/POP server and LDA. Using procmail if you use "-f -" as arguments it'll generate the "From " line for you - details are in the procmail man page.

 Please DO NOT send me ANY email directly unless it's a privacy issue.
      Reply-to mangled to assist those who don't read the above.
--
Rob  |  What part of "no" was it you didn't understand?

Find a cheaper internet access deal - choose one to suit you. http://www.msn.co.uk/internetaccess