RE: [fetchmail]Where's my From line gone?

2004-04-27 15:05:48
-----Original Message-----
From: fetchmail-friends-admin(_at_)lists(_dot_)ccil(_dot_)org
[mailto:fetchmail-friends-admin(_at_)lists(_dot_)ccil(_dot_)org] On Behalf Of
Michael Abbott

Now let me try to politely suggest that your reply is part of
the problem with fetchmail.

It's all right, I won't be offended if you're not polite :)

Actually, seriously, I know that I sometimes tend towards abrasive (and
beyond) and don't take offense if somebody responds in a similar
style...

<---SNIP--->
For example, the documentation in `man fetchmail` makes no
reference to
the need to regenerate the From header when using procmail.
As this is a
standard integration task, I would like to suggest that this is a
(documentation) problem with fetchmail.

The problem is this:

1) Your ISP doesn't use the legacy mailbox format and as such doesn't
generate the "From " header.

2) Fetchmail passes on exactly what it gets, which means no "From "
header.

3) You're using a legacy mailbox format that requires that "From "
header, but you're not using anything that generates it.

In short, everything is doing exactly what it's supposed to.  It's just
that in your case that's resulting in problems :)  I'd suggest your
quickest fix is to add the entries to sendmail.mc provided by Rob Funk,
regenerate sendmail.cf and restart sendmail, telling fetchmail to pass
all email to it.

The longer term solution is to migrate to another format, or LDA.

I will say that you're unlucky.  I've had zero problems with fetchmail
and frequently forget about it for months on end - only touching it when
I upgrade versions.

PLEASE - keep list traffic on the list.  Email sent directly to me may
be ignored utterly.

--
Rob | What part of "no" was it you didn't understand?