Re: [fetchmail]Update on: Password not recognized by new ISP

2004-05-07 01:34:21
On Fri, May 07, 2004 at 10:23:03AM +0200, Marco Fioretti wrote:
I just called. Parameters look fine, pop3 is enabled. It then looks like:

1) I do have discovered some new bug in their server, or
2) it does require some obscure fetchmail setting, which they don't
    know

Use telnet to port 110. This eliminates fetchmail from the equation (a piece
of software they don't know or support), and proves that their POP3 server
is not working with the username/password they have given.

$ script log.txt
Script started, output file is log.txt
$ telnet mail.mclink.it 110
Trying 195.110.128.30...
Connected to mail.mclink.it.
Escape character is '^]'.
+OK MC-link POP3 Server (Version 4.24) ready.
user random
+OK please send PASS command
pass random
-ERR invalid usercode or password, please try again
quit
-ERR POP3 Server Abnormal Shutdown: Fatal program error!
Connection closed by foreign host.
$ exit
exit

Script done, output file is log.txt
$ cat log.txt

then mail this file to them. (Incidentally, the -ERR response to QUIT is
also a bug in their POP3 server)

Brian.