Re: [fetchmail]Password not recognized by new ISP

2004-05-07 01:28:06
On Fri, May 07, 2004 at 09:51:33AM +0200, Marco Fioretti wrote:
I entered a ticket in their help desk system before anything else, and today
when they
open office I will call. The reasons why I also need as much feedback as
possible
at this level are:

0) Help desks can be much slower than online lists!
1) their control panel does say I'm enabled to pop3
2) it lists pop3 server, smtp server, account name to use and so on. They are
what
    I am using now (smtp *is* working with those parameters, for example)
3) I had similar problems with other ISPs in the past, and the solution turned
out to
    be the right combination of fetchmail options (like use or not "auth
passwd")

Your transcript clearly shows fetchmail issuing 'USER' and 'PASS' commands,
and the response from the POP3 server saying it's invalid. You can replicate
that using telnet to port 110, to take fetchmail out of the equation
entirely, and then show that to your helpdesk.

My guess is the issue will turn out to be something like case-sensitivity of
usernames or passwords.

So, above all, I need help from this list to elaborate on 3) above. As far as
can see,
there is nothing about this in the FAQ. Any further feedback is appreciated.

The --auth option is documented in the manpage, and is very rarely needed
since most POP3 servers just take a regular USER/PASS combination.

Your POP3 server doesn't support CAPA to advertise any other method, and it
doesn't give an APOP challenge string, so USER/PASS is all it supports.

Brian.