Re: [fetchmail]Fixed UIDL + IMAP patch

2004-05-20 10:01:43
Brian Candler wrote:

On Thu, May 20, 2004 at 09:56:59AM -0400, Paul Zaremba wrote:
I've taken Clint's UIDL patch and applied it to my Debian fetchmail archive because I needed the functionality. The UIDL matching in IMAP is useful for keeping a
backup of an IMAP mailbox without deleting all of the mail off the server or
interfering with the SEEN status.
Drawbacks:
*) Has to download every header and compile the hash.
 This could be an issue in a mailbox with a large
 number of messages.

Why do you need a hash?

IMAP provides a unique message number. See section RFC3501 section 2.3.1.1

IMAP unique IDs are not globally unique, unlike POP3 UIDs. Also the Unique IDs are not consistent between sessions (they are usually just the message number in the mailbox which will change with an expunge).

Clint