RE: [fetchmail]Fetchmail will not finf mail server, help

2004-12-06 05:42:38
Thanks Rob.  What I am trying to do is make a replacement server for a
Windows network - I am trying to offer an alternative solution for a
file server and e-mail server for exisitiiing  Windows networks.

Although mys test only involve polling one mail server right now,
eventually I would have several 'poll' lines in there.

With that in mind, I should only be running the server as root and no
client will be logging into the server.  Does it matter if .fetchmailrc
is in the users home directory?

To allow Windows clients to connect and get their e-mail, I am told I
need Postfix, Procmail and Courir-IMAP.  Do I still need Fetchmail to
pull from my ISP?

TIA for the help.

-----Original Message-----
From: fetchmail-friends-admin(_at_)lists(_dot_)ccil(_dot_)org
[mailto:fetchmail-friends-admin(_at_)lists(_dot_)ccil(_dot_)org] On Behalf Of
Rob
MacGregor
Sent: Monday, December 06, 2004 1:57 AM
To: fetchmail-friends(_at_)lists(_dot_)ccil(_dot_)org
Subject: Re: [fetchmail]Fetchmail will not finf mail server, help

On Sun, 5 Dec 2004 19:15:21 -0500, Rob Walker
<rob(_at_)convergent-tech(_dot_)ca>
wrote:

I am new to Linux and Fetchmail.  I have Suse 9.1 installed and could
sure use some help getting Fetchmail going.  I also have Procmail
installed too.

In my home folder I have a file called .fetchmailrc that looks like
this:
poll pop6.sympatico.ca protocol POP3 user b1fusi29 password ********
mda "/usr/bin/procmail -d robwalker"

When I am logged in as robwalker I execute the following:
fetchmail -v --keep -a >> /var/log/fetchmail 2>&1 I get the message
'permission denied'

That's probably from trying to write to /var/log/fetchmail.  Try just
"fetchmail -v --keep -a".

When I am logged on as root I go to the robwalker home folder and
execute the same command I get returned to the console prompt

When I check the log file at /var/log/fetchmail is says:
'Fetchmail: no mail servers have been specified'

It is almost as if Fetchmail is not reading fetchmailrc

Because it's looking in $HOME.  Root's $HOME is not the same as
robwalker's $HOME.

--
                 Please keep list traffic on the list.
Rob MacGregor