Re: [fetchmail]mail getting stuck

2005-05-01 10:28:41
James Knott wrote:
Barsalou wrote:

My ISP is using Maillenium 4.0c and occasionally the mail is getting
stuck.  Any ideas on how to fix this?  I know I can telnet net in and
delete the offending message, but that seems rediculous.

I had the same problem with my ISP a while ago, after they switched the mail to Yahoo, but it's been OK for the past few months. One thing I noticed, is that it was always spam that got stuck.

What I've found in the past was that it was spam that way trying to elude some form of filter by using an invalid "from" address. This ended up in lots of fingerpointing between fetchmail and the rest of the world because the error wasn't straightforward (basically when fetchmail forwarded it to your local system, the local system would reject it. Rather than fetchmail dumping the message at that point, it "stopped in it's tracks" and didn't delete any already-read messages from the ISP)

The indication I would get that something was amiss were the lines:

fetchmail: client/server protocol error while fetching from postoffice.pacbell.net
fetchmail: Query status=4 (PROTOCOL)

in my fetchmail log. This is a bit of a red-herring in that there was NO problem with my ISP, and NO indication it was my LOCAL system that denied the message (the only part that is true was that it WAS picking up messages FROM pacbell...)

what I finally found was a message like this in my postfix log:

Apr 19 05:14:01 osnut postfix/smtpd[4363]: warning: Illegal address syntax from localhost[127.0.0.1] in MAIL command: <"Amiee"pyfi(_at_)maxsoft(_dot_)ru>

[though previously it was a form such as "<serra(_at_)hitbox[1](_dot_)txt>" or "<N[5-](_at_)fastermail(_dot_)com>"]

long story short, I believe this was "fixed" in a relatively recent release of fetchmail, but I haven't had the time to compile it (seems the source has a few more dependancies than my system can provide, and I'm not in the mood for an easter egg hunt...)

Tom