Re: [fetchmail]mail getting stuck

2005-05-02 00:47:35

[...]

> The indication I would get that something was amiss were the lines:
>
> fetchmail: client/server protocol error while fetching from
> postoffice.pacbell.net
> fetchmail: Query status=4 (PROTOCOL)
>
> in my fetchmail log.  This is a bit of a red-herring in that
> there was
> NO problem with my ISP, and NO indication it was my LOCAL system that
> denied the message (the only part that is true was that it
> WAS picking
> up messages FROM pacbell...)

Well, actually it IS a problem of your ISP, at least in my opinion.
Your ISP should never have accepted an email with invalid from-header, as it is in violation to the RFC 822 (please correct me if I'm wrong), and fetchmail, or your local mailer, correctly refuses to deliver it. I personally would not like fetchmail to continue, or, even worse, drop emails, in case of errors.

On the other hand it is a nice filter criteria :-)

For me the problem vanished with using "antispam 501" (with postfix), and fetchmail 6.2.5, which really isn't hard to compile. If your target machine does not have the necessary dependencies you can still build it statically on another machine.