Re: [fetchmail]antispam codes, From filtering

2005-07-19 07:11:34
On 18/07/05, Scott Ingram <scott(_at_)ingram(_dot_)bz> wrote:

Is it possible to change the behavior of fetchmail so that it
doesn't delete the mail on the server in response to an anti spam
message from the SMTP listerner on port 25?

Sure, don't configure any anti-spam codes.  Quoting the man page:

Well, I haven't.  I also didn't build it, I'm using a Debian binary. Is
it possible that antispam actions were hardcoded in the build?  Otherwise,
I would have expected the default behavior I desire.

Return codes which fetchmail treats as antispam responses and discards
the message can be set with the 'antispam' option. This is one of the
only three circumstance under which fetchmail ever discards mail (the
others are the 552 and 553 errors described below, and the suppression
of multidropped messages with a message-ID already seen).
<---SNIP--->
By default, the list of antispam responses is empty.

In my case in particular, I'm using a MS IMAP4 server, and exim as the
MTA.  When exim returns a "550 rejected: administrative prohibition" then
fetchmail sends an expunge command to the IMAP server.

What's it supposed to do?  A 5xx error is a permanent failure error -
it means that the mail can never be delivered.  There's no point in
keeping it around.  Fetchmail does the sensible thing, it sends a
bounce message and purges the mail.

If that's not what you want, don't use a 5xx series code for temporary
failures!

I do need a permanent (or at least persistent) failure from this particular
sender, as the content is actually dealt with by a process on the IMAP
server.  Suggestions for something other than 5xx code?

--
                 Please keep list traffic on the list.
Rob MacGregor