Re: [fetchmail]Fetchmail and postfix

2005-08-28 11:50:42
Rob MacGregor <rob(_dot_)macgregor(_at_)gmail(_dot_)com> writes:

On 28/08/05, Pete Geenhuizen
<pgeenhuizen(_at_)pobox(_dot_)homeunix(_dot_)net> wrote:
<---SNIP--->
 BTW I noticed in the FAQ that there are hints on setting fetchmail up with
several different MDAs, but nothing for postfix.  Are there any handy dandy
hints on using this combination?

Well, postfix is an MTA (though it may also contain an MDA, I don't
know enough about postfix).

It has three MDAs, local(8) and virtual(8), and finally pipe(8) which
relays to yet another shell command (usually maildrop or something like
that).

In short, no.  Fetchmail can't fake the IP the mail is coming from.
I'm afraid you'll need to find some other way of filtering than by the
source IP.

It is however possible to configure more than one Postfix smtpd server,
so fetchmail could inject into a different SMTP port, where the
"permit_mynetworks" wouldn't apply.

Shuffling around smtpd_*_restrictions in Postfix's main.cf may also
help, to put reject lists before permit_mynetworks - it usually does no
harm unless someone in the local network is trying to send mail with a
banned domain in the envelope sender.