[fetchmail]Re: SSL authentication problems with Gmail

2006-01-03 08:51:12
Matthias Andree <matthias(_dot_)andree(_at_)gmx(_dot_)de> wrote:

[Cc:ing fetchmail-users(_at_)lists(_dot_)berlios(_dot_)de, JFTR]

Sebastian Tennant <sebyte(_at_)smolny(_dot_)plus(_dot_)com> writes:

I unpacked the 6.3.1 tarball in my workspace directory, downloaded
the openssl source from the Debian apt repositories (testing) and
copied it across to my workspace too.  Then I ran:

  $ cd fetchmail-6.3.1
  $ ./configure --with-ssl=/home/sebyte/workspace/openssl-0.9.8a
  [...]
  configure: error: cannot link with SSL - check config.log

I read the INSTALL file for building with ssl and the directory I
specified on the comand line definitely includes the include/
directory...

Actually, the system SSL should have been fine after installation of the
-dev package. I know not a single system with OpenSSL in the base system
where --with-ssl=/usr hasn't worked for me.

I'm not sure what you mean by the -dev package. Having read the
INSTALL file, I checked the contents of the Debian openssl package
with the following command ...

  $ dpkg -L openssl | egrep include

... and got nothing.  I then searched the Debian apt repositories for
suitable packages.  Here is a list of all the Debian packages with
`openssl' in the name:

  aolserver-nsopenssl - AOLserver module: module for SSL mode.
  aolserver4-nsopenssl - AOLserver 4 module: module for SSL mode.
  libopenssl-ruby - OpenSSL interface for Ruby
  libopenssl-ruby1.6 - OpenSSL interface for Ruby
  pyopenssl-doc - Documentation for pyOpenSSL
  python-pyopenssl - Python wrapper around the OpenSSL library (dummy package)
  python2.2-pyopenssl - Python wrapper around the OpenSSL library
  python2.3-pyopenssl - Python wrapper around the OpenSSL library
  python2.4-pyopenssl - Python wrapper around the OpenSSL library
  libcurl3-openssl-dev - Development files and documentation for libcurl
  libopensc-openssl - OpenSSL engine using PKCS#15 Smart Cards
  libopenssl-ruby1.9 - OpenSSL interface for Ruby 1.9
  libxmlsec1-openssl - Openssl engine for the XML security library
  libengine-pkcs11-openssl - OpenSSL engine for PKCS#11 modules
  libopenssl-ruby1.8 - OpenSSL interface for Ruby 1.8
  openssl - Secure Socket Layer (SSL) binary and related cryptographic tools

None of these seemed suitable so then I decided to download the source
of the openssl package itself and use that.

configure:12595: gcc -o conftest -g -O2   conftest.c
-L/home/sebyte/workspace/openssl-0.9.8a/lib -lcrypt  -lresolv -lssl -lcrypto
 >&5
/usr/bin/ld: cannot find -lssl

Try running "ldconfig -n /home/sebyte/workspace/openssl-0.9.8a/lib" and
re-run ./configure.

No joy I'm afraid.  I had to run ldconfig with root privs so I ran
configure with root privs, but it still borked at the same point.  I
even did a make clean and tried again but no luck.

Here's the relevant config.log section again:

  $ cat config.log | egrep ssl
    $ ./configure --with-ssl=/home/sebyte/workspace/openssl-0.9.8a
  configure:12595: gcc -o conftest -g -O2   conftest.c
-L/home/sebyte/workspace/openssl-0.9.8a/lib -lcrypt  -lresolv -lssl -lcrypto
&5
  /usr/bin/ld: cannot find -lssl
  configure:12595: gcc -o conftest -g -O2   conftest.c
-L/home/sebyte/workspace/openssl-0.9.8a/lib -lcrypt  -lresolv -lssl -lcrypto
-ldl >&5
  /usr/bin/ld: cannot find -lssl
  CEFLAGS=' -I/home/sebyte/workspace/openssl-0.9.8a/include
-I/usr/kerberos/include'
  LDEFLAGS=' -L/home/sebyte/workspace/openssl-0.9.8a/lib'
  LIBS=' -L/home/sebyte/workspace/openssl-0.9.8a/lib -lcrypt  -lresolv -lssl
-lcrypto -ldl'

sdt