Re: [fetchmail]Multiple foreground Fetchmail sessions

2006-02-09 18:12:39
----- Original Message ----- From: "Matthias Andree" <matthias(_dot_)andree(_at_)gmx(_dot_)de>
To: <fetchmail-friends(_at_)lists(_dot_)ccil(_dot_)org>
Sent: Thursday, February 09, 2006 7:35 PM
Subject: Re: [fetchmail]Multiple foreground Fetchmail sessions

"Stuart J. Browne" <sjbrowne(_at_)bluebottle(_dot_)com> writes:

<SNIP>

Anyway, even though I'm trying from a threaded framework, it sees it as
running multiple foreground sessions, and really doesn't want to let me
do it:

   fetchmail: another foreground fetchmail is running at 32161.

I was wondering if there was a nice way to supress this check to enable
me to run multiple at the same time (as there will never be any
backgrounded versions of this running).

Not at this time, but there's a workaround - not exactly what you're
looking for, but the best option at this time. Quoting the new 6.3.2
manpage (the 6.2.5 manual page is less verbose but should contain the
same information -- I hope Fedora backported the relevant fixes for
CVE-2005-2335, -3088 and -4348 to 6.2.5):

CAN-2005-2335 has been back-ported into it, but I can't see the other two in the change log, so I might need to get/compile a different version..

If the environment variable FETCHMAILHOME is set to a valid and exist- ing directory name, fetchmail will read $FETCHMAILHOME/fetchmailrc (the dot is missing in this case), $FETCHMAILHOME/.fetchids and $FETCHMAILHOME/.fetchmail.pid rather than from the user's home direc- tory. The .netrc file is always looked for in the the invoking user's
      home directory regardless of FETCHMAILHOME's setting.

The directories for multiple concurrent processes must be separate, else
you'll be seeing the same error again. So redirect the fetchmailrc to,
say PREFIX/dynamic-fetchmail-NNN/fetchmailrc where NNN is a counter and
then run "env FETCHMAILHOME=PREFIX/dynamic-fetchmail-NNN fetchmail" (of
course replacing PREFIX and NNN everywhere).

Anyway, thanks for the idea.

On a side note, would being cheeky and symbolically linking /dev/null to fetchmail.pid get around it? :) (just thought of that this morning).

You can remove the directory as fetchmail completes its job, unless you
need the .fetchids for the next run (POP3 in UIDL mode needs it).

Does the '.fetchids' also get used for IMAP?

Note this mailing list is going to shut down. Please subscribe to the
fetchmail-users list at berlios.de, see the new home page at
http://fetchmail.berlios.de/ for information.

Signed up for the other group.

It's odd.. The webpage listed in the 6.2.5 man pages (http://www.catb.org/~esr/fetchmail) mentions nothing about the new site or infact the 6.3.x release series.