Re: Internet Message Bodies DRAFT revisions

1991-06-28 15:07:43
On Fri, 28 Jun 91 22:28:34 +0200, Keld J|rn Simonsen wrote:
I have become convinced, through silence and avoidance of reading all
this XXXX effluvia, that it is hopeless to deal with the 8-7 encoding
anywhere but at the original UA posting point.  PERIOD.  FULL STOP.
Well, I happen to disagree with both John and Stef.
Bouncing email because it is crossing an 8/7 bit boundary is
a SHOW STOPPER to me. And to many other Europeans.
Try to figure out my trouble telling my users that the mail
was bounced because of some site not being able to accept
what they sent, (which was a simple 8-bit mail).

There is a very simple way of solving this problem.

There would be no case of email bouncing because it crosses an 8/7 bit
boundary if there is no 8/7 bit boundary.

Put an end to Euro-centric thinking that says that an in-place North American
infrastructure must be changed in an incompatible manner to accomodate the
convenience and esthetics of PROGRAMMERS in Europe.  That right, I mean
PROGRAMMERS, since with proper software European users will never see the
problem.

Your national languages can be accomodated perfectly well within the framework
of a 7-bit universe.  Let me remind you that the Japanese do perfectly well
with 7 bits through the use of ISO 2022, and they have a far greater problem
and much less motivation for North American compatibility than Europe.