Re: Internet Message Bodies DRAFT revisions

1991-06-28 18:01:26
On Sat, 29 Jun 91 00:44:13 +0200, Keld J|rn Simonsen wrote:
I am not sure why you talk about PROGRAMMERS. Our 120 customer firms
are not programmers. And these are the people I care about.

Once again, if it works, it does not matter to your customers what mechanism
is used.  7-bit, 8-bit, 32-bit, 5-bit Baudot -- none of these are details your
customers should care one bit about.

I'm serious about 5-bit Baudot.  You can develop a mechanism to represent
every language and character set in the world in Baudot.

I have been one of the foremost people on this list to advocate
interoperablity of the new and old worlds, so I do not understand
your words about "incompatible manners". Could you clarify?

8-bit MTAs are fundamentally incompatible with 7-bit MTAs, and entirely too
much time has been spent in trying to cover the butts of lazy programmers who
unilaterally violated standards in kludging in 8-bit character sets.

The standards are on the side of 7-bit.  It was programmer laziness that
created 8-bit MTAs without going through the standards process.

And other languages like French cannot be done in 7-bit.

I doubt French uses as many characters as Japanese, which works in 7-bit.

Or do you want us to use the 2022 scheme?

Either 2022 or Quoted-Printable.  It's only at the transport level.  WHY are
you so hung up on the esthetics of the transport level?

I think 7/8-bit transformations without loss can be made

Yes, very easily, by keeping 8-bits at the UA level only and using 7-bit
transport throughout.