Re: Charset compromise (Was Re: Character-set) header

1991-09-04 14:54:51
Excerpts from mail: 4-Sep-91 Re: Charset compromise (Was.. Neil
Katin(_at_)Eng(_dot_)Sun(_dot_)COM (2189)

First of all, a "point of information": Ned already pointed out that
we are arguing about a concept (do types other than text have a
content charset) rather than the packaging.  I'm assuming that
your message means that you're willing to accept the concept.

Well, it doesn't mean I think it is a good idea, merely that I can find
a way to live with it.  I would much prefer to keep it the way it is,
actually.

What is "the way it is" currently? We decided in Atlanta to make
a new header "Character-Charset" - so that must be the current state
of affairs? Is that what you mean, Nat? (presumably not).

I am not fully aware of IETF procedures, but as far as I understand
IETF meetings are the prior place to make decisions. Meetings
face-to-face are great places to work out compromises and make decisions
- unlike just conversations on email - that is at least my experience
with email over the last 8 years.  Another way to make decisions is
to use polls by email, like Greg is about to do shortly.

Ladies and gentlemen, I urge you to stick to formally taken decisions,
especially when the other proposals on the table are not very
different. So I ask you to stop the Content-Charset discussion.

Keld