Re: Charset compromise (Was Re: Character-set) header

1991-09-04 16:45:33
On Thu, 5 Sep 91 00:14:56 +0200, Keld J|rn Simonsen wrote:
And the Atlanta decision was to move the charset specification from
the content-type header to the content-charset header.
Let's stick to that, folks!

Suppose we gather in force at the next IETF when you aren't looking and decree
that the only supported character set shall be ASCII and JIS.  Would you be so
eager to "stick to that"???

A decision made in the absence of important members of the group is subject to
review by those who were absent.

Please explain to me what:
means.  Don't forget to cover the fact that hyphen occupies a different place
in the Slobbovian character set than in US ASCII.  While you're at it, please
explain what it means with all the other content types that seem to have no
relationship to character sets.

Don't forget to also tell me what it means when the charset is JIS.  JIS
includes Roman, Greek, and Cyrillic alphabets.   How do I interpret stuff?

This is a bad, horrible mixing of layers.