Re: POINT OF ORDER

1991-09-16 08:40:09
Excerpts from internet.ietf-822: 16-Sep-91 POINT OF ORDER Greg
Vaudreuil(_at_)nri(_dot_)resto (2410)

Let's get back to the two issues at hand.  I want answers to the
following.  Please send in comments.

1) Can sub-types be registered under more than one content-type. i.e.
can PostScript be both a image and text-plus?

This really seems like a non-issue to me.  If they're properly defined
and registered with the IANA, who cares?  I've never heard of a type or
class system where subtypes of two different types couldn't have the
same names.  It sounds like a really silly and pointless restriction to
me!

2) Are the strawman definitions of the types clear?  Please send
clarifications of radical disagreements.  I already have heard
discontent about the use of application for "program input" rather
than for query-response or Knowbot type mail.

I think they're close.  I was going to try my hand at producing a
slightly-souped up version of your prose shortly...

1) Are the data type and conversion type orthogonal?  Some feel that
8bit or Binary implies quoted-printable or base64, and others feel it
does not.  My strawman states it does, and adds a few new states to
make the states fully general.

I see no reason that they shouldn't be orthogonal.  I could live with
"recommended"encodings, though I don't think they're necessary.  I see
no reason to BAN any of the two legal encodings for any content types.