use of C0 for Vietnamese

1991-09-18 00:21:47
I think it would help interoperability if RFC-XXXX
explicitly stated what C0 characters must have US ASCII semantics.

The current draft of RFC-XXXX contains specifications for Base64,
which is supposed to be safe in all networks, since it uses a subset
of the ASCII printable characters. I.e. we are reducing the size of
the set.

Wouldn't it be hypocritical to then turn around and increase the size
of the set for Vietnamese?

Of course, all of this is relative. Base64 is ideal for sending
executable binaries because they should not be corrupted. If people
are willing to put up with some inaccuracies in Vietnamese text, then
perhaps they should go ahead and use some of the C0 area.

But I don't think it would be so wise for RFC-XXXX to state which C0
values are relatively safe. The Vietnamese encoding group should just
figure it out for themselves. As far as I can tell, they have already
succeeded in avoiding the most critical C0 values of NUL, BS, HT, LF,
FF, CR, and ESC.

Regards,
EvdP