Re: New-ish idea on non-ascii headers

1991-09-20 12:28:26
Excerpts from internet.ietf-822: 20-Sep-91 Re: New-ish idea on non-asc..
Robert Ullmann(_at_)relay(_dot_)pri (806)

I most definitely did _not_ say that. I _said_ that 822 already
provides a standard quoting mechanism that _could_ be used to
prevent 8 bit chars from causing trouble _if_ 8 bit chars are
allowed.

Why do you go to so much trouble to misunderstand me, so that you
can attribute to me a position I do not in fact hold?

I think I'm finally understanding the proposal, and it is really quite
reasonable IF one presumes the presence of 8 bit transport and 8 bit
data throughout the message.  However, it is the basic assumption of
RFC-XXXX that 8 bits are not required.  So far, the proposal has been
carefully crafted to work both in the current 7 bit world and in any
future 8 bit world that might come to exist.  I'd like to keep that kind
of consistency in any solutions that become a part of XXXX.  -- Nathaniel