Re: new-ish idea on non-ascii headers

1991-09-21 11:47:44
By complete accident, Dave Crocker did, in fact, see your message...

While I've been negligent at participating and tracking the discussion,
I do get them and file them and may, yet catch up.

So I don't have as much context for the discussion as your note really
deserves, but I do see one item about which I can comment:

In my own, very strong, opinion, I believe that ALL participant-specific
information should be carried around with the address, and definitely,
absolutely , positively NOT factored into separate headers.  I
believe this stricture should be applied to all addresses, whether
part of the sending or part of the receiving set.

The fact that I also use the Organization and Phone fields is simply
giving in to standard practise and recognizing that there is no
way, currently, to include that information with my computer info,
in the From/Sender fields.

When you separate information, such as into different fields, you then are
left with the task of (constantly) re-correlating it.  Worse, most
information splitting designs for email tend to be special-cased and
don't really generalize for an abritrary address in the header.

Dave