Re: Question on encapsulation

1991-09-25 04:29:07
The "will the 934 scheme ever really break" question really reduces to
"will there ever be nesting to a depth of approximately 35?

I doubt that this will be a common event, but I'm sure it will happen
eventually, especially if software that forwards, digests, rejects, or
otherwise transforms messages gets upgraded to do so in multipart
format.  Therefore I prefer a scheme that will not break.

Ned seemed to imply that things might break sooner if the original
quoted line is long.  This *might* be true, but probably it won't break
if there is already whitespace where the line can be wrapped "relatively
harmlessly".  However, one can imagine a message with an 80 character
line beginning with a hyphen, in which wrapping is fatal.  In such a
message, even a single level of quoting will break it.  I worry more
about the deeply-nested case, however, because it strikes me as almost
inevitable.  -- Nathaniel