Re: SHOW STOPPERS in the new RFC-XXXX draft

1991-10-23 15:23:42

Mark & /mtr

I see /mtr's point about nesting subtypes making the whole thing a
harder.  I might disagree about the difficulty this creates, however I
haven't yet tried implementation so I shouldn't comment about perceived
difficulty.

I have a problem with this regardless.  Namely this might not be enough
levels for a direction I am intending to take.

Suppose I want to create a kazillion things which live under, say,
"application".  I run a humongous company and want to use e-mail to
replace a lot of the paper forms which float about.  Stores
requisitions and the like.

Now.. where do these different forms `fit'?  They should each have
their own identifier so that the UA can recognize them cleanly.

If I work through the IANA for each and every one of them, IANA will be
overloaded.  Now, maybe they are all unique to my company and I can use
the X- format.  Maybe not.

If, instead, I register with IANA an arc under "application" and am
allowed to use the third level as I see fit then a lot of potential
load is taken off IANA.  That is

Another example.

I run a software company making a kazillion different application
programs.  Each of which has >= 1 unique type of data file.

Each of the data files will naturally fit into some part of the
existing tree of Content-Types.  Davids Widget's paint program produces
DWIFF files while our word processor makes ASCII files with proprietary
markings which are Superior to every other markup method.

Again I run the risk of overloading IANA with registration requests.

Another example.

Some existing file formats naturally have subtypes of their own.
Examples which I know of are:

Electronic Arts' IFF: Used widely on Amiga and other platforms.  Is
        a file format which can hold many `chunks' within a single
        file.  Each `chunk' has a type labeling it and a length.
        Types tend to be those used in multimedia presentations.
        Things like audio, pictures, animations, music scores,
        MIDI event lists, etc.

TIFF (designed by someone): Appears to be similar.

G3FAX: has T.1, T.4 and likely other T.x's.

The examples used in RFC-XXXX imply the subtype for each
of these would be

        Audio/IFF-8SVX
        Image/TIFF-B-NetFax
        Image/G3FAX-T.4
        ...etc...

In other words we'd describe subtyping for this in the
type-subtype-subtype fashion.  We again run potential problems with
overloading IANA.

Summary.

The lesson I take from the development of the domain name system
is that a limited amount of hierarchilization will eventually
be a problem.  The above examples attempt to show ways that
problem might actually come into being.

Obviously to an extent I am grasping after straws.  If it does
turn out to be a problem then there is an obvious syntax to
use for extending the subtyping to arbitrary levels.

                David