Re: SHOW STOPPERS in the new RFC-XXXX draft

1991-10-22 10:10:43
I agree with Ned that we're debating syntactic minutae where character
set specification is concerned.  I admit that, as you perceived, I put
in content-charset as an attempt to forge a compromise between two
camps.  If I were writing it exactly as I think it should be, I would
eliminate it in favor of an optional attribute-value notation for
application, binary, and image.  I would leave character sets as the
subtype for text because I think that non-ASCII text is an extremely
widely-desired "special case" for which an extremely simple syntax
should be available.  In short, I'm about 90% in agreement with you, but
would prefer to keep the charset subtypes of text.  The question is,
WOULD THE ELIMINATION OF CONTENT-CHARSET BE A SHOWSTOPPER FOR ANYONE
ELSE?

I was quite astonished that the subtype for character sets were still
in the draft, and that the wording for content-charset was so vague.
This is not in line with Atanta desicions. I would very much like the
Atlanta decisions to stay in effect.

Also I find a lot of other problems in the new draft, but I will talk
directly to the authors first.

Keld