Re: SHOW STOPPERS in the new RFC-XXXX draft

1991-10-24 11:38:33
On Wed, 23 Oct 91 23:28:14 -0700, Marshall Rose wrote:
I'm not quite following your argument here.  Fine, I agree that body
parts within a multipart/digest have a default of message/rfc822 instead
of text/us-ascii.  Why is this a big deal, and why is multipart/digest
suddenly abolished?

The problem is, default content-types are abolished by the new draft.  You are
required to have a content-type in the header and after each cookie in a
multipart body.  Hence, the DIGEST subtype no longer does anything!

The point is, if you want MULTIPART/DIGEST, then you have to rescind the ban
on defaulting the content-type.  I understand why it was done and the good
motivations behind it, but it creates a bogon.