Re: Comment on encapsulation BNF in latest RFC-XXXX

1991-10-25 07:30:00
On Thu, 24 Oct 91 18:04:18 EDT you said:
2. There needs to  be a way to verify the correctness  of ANY body part
that  might contain  binary data  (be it  encoded as  quoted-printable,
base64, or binary).

I have  said something similar more  than once, and have  been flamed an
equivalent number of times. I still do *not* repent...

The argument  I have been  flamed with is  : if some  application really
needs a checksum, *it* can provide it. I don't believe in this argument.
Did the  designers of TCP  consider leaving  checksums out of  it, since
each application  wanting reliable data  can add one  of its own  ?? For
binary transport  in mail, checksums should  be a mandatory part  of the
basic function.  What will happen  as soon  as binary transport  will be
available, is that people will use  it to transport binary files as they
do today with ad-hoc means (uuencode,  etc). This means just passing the
existing  file  to  the  RFCXXXX  mail agent,  and  not  writing  a  new
application to transport  this or that kind of file.  And so the present
situation will continue,  where corrupted files are  used when received,
give strange results, with no clues  about the reason (bad file to start
with, file containing  something that the local version  of the consumer
cannot  handle,  or  simply   corruption  in  transfer).  Not  including
checksums as  a mandatory part  of the binary transport  capability will
hurt many unsuspecting users, often and forever.

Now I have said it once more. Sorry  for those who don't like it, but at
least it will be on record.                            /AF