Re: Character set Detail Considered Harmful

1991-12-20 13:40:24
Dave -- Have you read Keld Simonsen's RFC-CHAR document?  In it he
purports to describe all of the world's character sets (well, almost...)
and gives each a clear name.  He has been advocating a simplification of
the XXXX stuff on character sets:  basically, I believe he proposes that
we simply refer to his document for a definition of what a given
"charset" token means, and perhaps recommend a (very small) set of
"recommended" character sets for use in Internet mail.  Would that be a
suitable resolution of this problem?  It has the added (and highly
desirable, from my perspective) property that it would shorten the final
RFC-XXXX document.   -- Nathaniel