Re: Character set Detail Considered Harmful

1991-12-23 15:44:17
Dave,

If I can try to compress the proposal into its barest terms:

Have RFC XXXX say that character set identifiers will exist and
will occupy a particular syntactic place in the email format
but leave actual debate about which char sets to use and what
their identifiers are to:

1. additional RFCs (perhaps one per char set)
2. Assigned Numbers list (which includes non-numeric identifiers)
   maintained by the IANA

This frees the email structure document from any particular debates
and changes to the specific character sets of interest and/or
under development (unless, of course, we discover that a structural
change to email is necessitated by the adoption of a particular
char set or class of char sets that we hadn't thought about before).

Have I got it?

Vint