Re: Last Call: Multipurpose Mail Extensions to Proposed Standard

1992-04-01 15:52:05

Jim,

In the MIME spec, in the introduction to Base64, it says it is the same
as PEM's Base64 with one difference: base64 eliminates the "*" mechanism
for embedded clear text.  I don't know PEM terribly well, but this seems
to mean the Base64 there allowed for some unencrypted text to be included
if it was prefaced with "*" and ended somehow (another "*"?).  I'm only
up to date on what is in MIME ...

Since you say the current draft of PEM also removes this capability then
my objection is either modified or withdrawn.

Modification:  Add a sentence stating that later work on PEM will also be
removing the "*" mechanism.

        David