MIME in pine3.05

1992-12-11 07:32:09
I was just trying mixmh and noticed a problem in pine. Pine seems
to understand MIME-messages only if header 'MIME-Version:' appears
before any 'Content' headers. I scanned the RFC quickly and found
no definiutions that say's that this should be the real order even
though all the examples seem to be ordered so.

I also noticed that Pine doesn't implement rfc 1344 'Representation
of Non-ASCII Text in Internet Message Headers' which mixmh can read
and write (see header Contenet-Description in this mail). For an
example implementation see subroutine PrintHeader in metamail.c of
Nathaniel Borenstein's metamail or get mixmh:

MIXMH version 0.2, a version of XMH that supports some MIME
features, is available for anonymous FTP from aun.uninett.no

Host: aun.uninett.no
Directory: pub/unix
Filename: mixmh-0.2.tar.Z

This version is based on XMH version 1.6 from SEI, Carnegie Mellon.
It supports sending MIME with extended character sets in the headers
(per RFC-1342) and the body (per RFC-1341 text/plain).
It has limited support for multipart messages.

Pekka Kyt|laakso
netmgr(_at_)tellus(_dot_)csc(_dot_)fi     Centre for Scientific Computing
Pekka(_dot_)Kytolaakso(_at_)csc(_dot_)fi  PL 40   SF-02101 Espoo FINLAND
Phone: +358 0 4571       Telefax: + 358 0 4572302