RE: restrictions when defining charsets

1993-02-03 14:46:48
< The discussion about character sets, etc. is facinating, of course, but I
< now wonder what it is doing on an email list. ...
< If that work results in some suggestions for additions and enhancement to
< Internet mail, that will be fine, but the core topic really dones not
< belong here, in my opinion.

I disagree. I think it is directly relevant, as we will have to be able to
send mail with those character sets. If we aren't conversant with the
subject, there's no way we will be able to come up with email standards
which will be able to handle the problem.

I agree with Tony 200%. If there was a working group whose charter was to deal
with character set issues in the IETF I might feel differently, but as far as I
know no such group exists.

These issues are relevant, they are important, and understanding them is  a
vital part of designing and implementing email.

The only reason I can see for not discussing these issues isn't that they
aren't relevant to email; it is that they are relevant to more than email. And
yes, this argues for separate working group, but not having one of those does
not change the relevancy to anything.

                                Ned