Re: Unicode is not an IETF character code

1993-02-03 15:39:29
Ned,

    This is a reasonable position to take and I support it. However, it is not
    directly relevant to character set issues because it isn't possible to simp
                  ly
    enbrace the work done by other groups. The problem in a nutshell is that
    there's too much work done by too many groups with entirely different agend
                  as,
    resulting in conflicting, competing, and overlapping standards.

No debate on the degree of problem with the current situation.

But note that my comment said that I thought we needed to have a clear
basis for believing that we could (and WOULD) deliver a better
solution.  To date, I haven't seen that, but it's no big deal if I'm
wrong.  My claim, however, is that a distinct effort to formulate
an Internet character set spec needs to be made and it needs to be
clear about the ways in which it will (must) be better than the
variety of existing or emerging specs.

    The IETF must therefore pick and choose between these efforts; the alternat
                  ive
    of embracing everything violates numerous principles and requirements:
    simplicity, elegance, lack of ambiguity.

Wasn't suggesting embracing everything, just being clear about why and
what we reject.

Dave