Re: restrictions when defining charsets

1993-02-03 13:31:44
Ohta-san,

    There already exists such a mailing list

        charset(_at_)necom830(_dot_)cc(_dot_)titech(_dot_)ac(_dot_)jp

Thank you for telling/reminding the group of this list.  I hope those
interested will move the discussion to it.

    > to Internet mail, that will be fine, but the core topic really dones not
    > belong here, in my opinion.

    Urrrr, wait a moment. As ISO10646/Unicode is not a character set of this
    ML, we shouldn't register such encoding as

        charset=iso-10646-utf2

Certainly, additional character sets can and should be registered with
IANA for use with MIME.  But this is not a matter that needs discussion
among the Mime list.  IANA registration is a simple procedure.

    But, assuming that the only language dependence of Unicode is to Devanagari
    and to Han, we might be able to register

        charset=iso-10646-sanskrit-japanese-utf2

Well, perhaps IANA registration WON'T be simple, since you are raising some
issues to debate.  But again, I don't think that the topic is of concern
to the MIME list, though it certainly is important to make the charset
name be appropriate.

Dave