Re: Text/Enhanced straw man

1993-02-15 19:32:28
Excerpts from ext.ietf-822: 15-Feb-93 Re: Text/Enhanced straw man Erik
M. van der Poel(_at_)poe (1529)

I know for my part, if I can't remember it and type it, I won't use
it; my composing agent is my editor, and I don't intend learn a new
tool just for sending pretty email.

Agreed absolutely.

There may be other people that are used to using things like Microsoft
Word to generate faxes, and who, for some reason, would like to start
using email too.  (Fat chance? :-)  For those people, it would be nice
to have some program that automatically converts MS Word's "bold", etc
to the text/enhanced stuff. 1/2 :-)

And here, too.  My editor is Andrew's EZ, and it allows me to edit some
very pretty text.  My model for fancy editors is that when you give the
mail UA a message to send, it will be knowledgable about the editor
markup format you're using, and use that knowledge to inspect the
message.  If the markup is some subset of simplemail (and simplemail
should be defined so that for some large fraction of messages, it will
be), the message is converted to simplemail markup, and sent.  Otherwise
it is sent as a message in the native markup format of that editor.  So,
for each editor format, we'd need some sort of scanner/transcriber
program.

Bill